Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Victorian Pincushion Swap.......

To calm my nerves after the thunderstorms passed through and all the tornado warnings were over, I decided to get started on the pincushion I need to make for the Victorian Pincushion Swap I'm participating in at Crazy About Pincushions (Yahoo Group). I have a vintage pincushion that my mother, Mary, gave me and I am using it for inspiration. It is just a round crazy-quilted pincushion with a pretty doily on top and some beading. It is very firm so I think it must be filled with sawdust. I cut a piece of muslin into a circle that when gathered should form the size I want. Then I got out my box of crazy quilting fabrics and began placing fabrics on the muslin. I don't follow any rules when crazy quilting. I just place the fabrics and trust what pleases my eyes. When I got a look that I liked, I tacked the pieces in place with pins and then started stitching them in place. I usually hand-stitch but I am short on time for this project so I machine-stitched the pieces in place and it looks just fine. Tomorrow I will start doing some embroidery on the piece and then I'll need to find a doily that will look just right on top. When it's all finished, I'll post a picture. Another storm is moving through! I have always loved the sound of rain on the roof but I think that this much rain could only be loved by a duck!!

This project is finished and a tutorial for it will come soon!!

No comments: